Meeting Room Policy
Public meeting rooms are provided to bring together the resources of the Library and the activities of the community in keeping with the Oldham County Public Library’s mission statement of meeting the educational, informational, and recreational needs of the residents of Oldham County. This service will be made available to the public on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of groups requesting their use, as per the Library Bill of Rights. Persons seeking to reserve use of a meeting room must be 18 years of age and eligible to obtain a library card. The reservation applicant is considered the official representative of the group and shall be responsible for seeing that Library policies are observed and communicated to the group. Teenage and children's groups shall have an adult sponsor, at least 18 years of age, present during the entire meeting.
Organizations may not use Library facilities for purely social functions (birthday parties, showers, etc.), fundraising, or commercial enterprises. An organization's use of the facilities does not imply the Library’s endorsement. The Library reserves the right to deny the use of Library facilities. The Library accepts no liability or responsibility for any damage to persons or property resulting from use of Library facilities.
The meeting room(s) are available for public use during library hours of 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The meeting room(s) are not available on Sundays and holidays. The meeting room(s) may be used by a legal organization (an organization that has a charter as a non-profit organization, has a business license, and/or files income tax statements as a business or organization) after hours at the discretion of the Library Director or their designee with the stipulation of OCPL staff supervision. Additional fees may apply for use after hours, including compensation for staffing expenses.
Description of Resources
The LaGrange Branch offers meeting rooms in the following configurations:
1. Full meeting room- seats 100 in theatre style arrangement or 12 rectangular tables that can seat 4 each, full access to two coat closets, full kitchen including stove (four burner range with oven), microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator with freezer (four electrical outlets in kitchen), two projection screens, 32 electrical outlets, 4 phone jacks, 4 data line outlets, two windows, exterior door, two access points to library foyer.
- Half meeting room (north side) – seats 50 in theatre seating, or 6 rectangular tables that can seat 4 each, exterior door, one coat closet, one access point to library foyer, access to full kitchen, one projection screen, 16 outlets, 2 phone jacks, 2 data line outlets, separate climate and lighting control, window.
- Half meeting room (South side) - seats 50 in theatre seating, or 6 rectangular tables that can seat 4 each, exterior door, one coat closet, one access point to library foyer, access to full kitchen, one projection screen, 16 outlets, 2 phone jacks, 2 data line outlets, separate climate and lighting control, window.
- Conference room (in administrative offices) – Large board room seats 10 around conference table, sink available, one projection screen, 12 outlets, 3 phone jacks, 3 data line outlets, separate climate and lighting control, windows. The conference room is only available limited business hours, based on staff availability.
Additional equipment and resources
The following pieces of equipment are available for public use. Reserving and requesting these materials may be done through the meeting room request form, but availability may not coincide with that of the meeting room. Some items may require an additional deposit for use.
- Data Projectors
- Slide projector
- Overhead projector
- Laptop computer (for running data projectors)
- Art hooks for display of materials
- 12 rectangular tables (will seat 4 each)
- 100 chairs- plastic and metal; recline slightly
- Video conferencing equipment
- Use of meeting room(s) may not disturb normal Library functions or inhibit use of the library by patrons. All meeting attendees must adhere to the Oldham County Public Library Behavior Policy.
- No smoking or burning of any kind (including incense) will be permitted in the meeting room(s) or on Library property.
- No selling of commercial products will be permitted within the meeting room(s). Items sold for charitable purposes must be approved by Director or Director’s designee.
- Nothing may be posted on walls of the meeting room(s) by either thumbtacks or tape. If materials need to be displayed, art hooks will be made available.
- Authorization is needed from Director or Director’s designee for any additional furniture brought into the library.
- Press notices citing the library as the location of the event must be approved by Director or Director’s designee before approval. Proper attire (including shirts and shoes) is required for use of meeting room(s).
- No literature or handouts may be given to Library patrons without approval by Director or Director’s designee.
- Organizations using the meeting room are not to use the library as a mailing address, nor have supplies or materials delivered for holding prior to engagement. Library staff is not responsible for answering questions regarding events in meeting room unless they are of a public nature, and will not receive or deliver phone messages for attendees of functions unless it is an emergency.
- Child care for children of adults attending functions within the meeting room(s) is the sole responsibility of those adults.
- The use of alcoholic beverages is not permissible during any library open hours and only at the Director’s discretion during other hours. Alcoholic beverages must be served by a caterer with a valid liquor license. The hosting organization shall be solely responsible for assuring that the use and consumption of alcohol remains well within legal limits.
- Depending on nature of event, the Library reserves the right to request proof of liability and/or event insurance on the part of the hosting organization; the amount and nature thereof to be determined by the Director.
- Groups using the Library meeting rooms shall be required to indemnify and hold harmless the Library, its board of trustees, and staff from any and all claims or actions attributable to the use of the Library facilities.
- Groups shall hold harmless and indemnify the Oldham County Public Library District, its Board of Trustees, and staff from and against any and all liability that may be imposed upon them for any injury to persons or property caused by that organization or any person in connection with that organization’s meeting.
- The Oldham County Public Library District, the Board of Trustees, and staff, collectively and individually, are hereby released and discharged from any and all liability for any loss, injury, or damage to persons or property which may be sustained by reason of a meeting.
- The Library has priority use of meeting room(s) for programming pertaining to Library service.
- Reservations will be accepted and confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Reservations must be made no later than one full week prior to requested date and no earlier than 4 months prior.
- Requests must be made by form, one meeting request date per form.
- Room(s) are not to be considered reserved until confirmed by staff.
Customers' Rights and Responsibilities
- Customers have the right to additional equipment as listed above, given proper reservations.
- Customers are responsible for keeping the meeting areas neat and orderly. They are responsible for any damage that occurs during reserved time of use. If an organization leaves the meeting room in any condition other than in the way they received it, the Library reserves the right to deny future access to meeting room(s) by the organization in question or to request a clean-up fee. Room setup and tear down are the responsibility of the group using the room. The group is expected to return the room to its original condition. Chairs are to be returned to carts and tables cleaned. Library staff will return equipment to storage. A vacuum will be supplied if needed to help with clean up. Excessive amounts of garbage (beyond the capacity of the trash receptacles in the room) must be removed by the room user to outside trash receptacles.
- Customers are responsible for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and providing any services necessary for disabled attendees.
- Customers are responsible for adhering to and complying with all OCPL policies and guidelines.
- Customers assume legal responsibility for copyright compliance.
Library’s Authority and Disclaimer of Responsibility
- The Library reserves the right to interpret its meeting room policy and regulations.
- The use of the Library’s resources (such as the meeting rooms) by an organization in no way constitutes endorsement of that organization’s beliefs or practices. No advertisements implying such an endorsement will be permitted.
- The use of the meeting room(s) is a privilege, not a right, and the Library reserves the right to cancel reservations or deny the use of meeting room(s) to any organizations. The Library may also cancel events due to weather or emergency closings.
- The Library reserves the right to have use of meeting room(s) monitored to ensure that no illegal activities occur. The library likewise reserves the right to ask any organization to vacate the premises, without reason or warning.
- Customers and organizations making use of the meeting room(s) must abide by the regulations stated within this policy and indemnify the Library from any damage caused by the customer, as well as hold the Library and its employees free from any liability.
This policy becomes effective September 16, 2021, and replaces any previous policy regarding Meeting Room use, written or implied. The Board of Trustees of the Oldham County Public Library reserves the right to amend, alter or revoke this policy if it is deemed necessary and desirable to do so.