Library Assistant: LaGrange Library
Institution: Oldham County Public Library
Location: 308 Yager Ave, LaGrange, KY 40031
Type of Position: part-time; non-exempt
Schedule: 19.25 hours
1:00pm – 5:00pm (4.0 hrs.)
1:00 pm – 5:00 pm (4.0 hrs.)
1:00 pm – 5:15 pm (4.25 hrs.)
9:45 am – 5:15 pm (7.00 hrs. /0.5 meal)
Salary: Starting at $11.00
Benefits: Sick and Vacation leave
Start Date: As soon as possible
Supports the library’s mission by (1) assisting customers in the use of library materials and services; (2) carrying out circulation procedures (3), checking library materials in and out and registering new card holders, and (4) assisting other library staff with variety of library and collection maintenance tasks as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
High school diploma or GED and public service work experience
Immediate Supervisor: Branch Manager or Person-In-Charge
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists customers in the use of library materials and services, including basic reference and reader’s advisory services, in person and by the phone.
- Uses the library’s automated system to check materials in/out, process holds and interlibrary loans, register new cardholders, collect fines/fees and answer inquiries.
- Interprets the library’s mission, policies and procedures in a customer-responsive manner.
- Carries out opening/closing functions including, but not limited to: entering statistics, “cleaning” computers, emptying the book drop, managing holds, and maintaining the general order and security of the library facility and grounds.
- Assists patrons with the use of computers, copier, fax and scan.
- Assists patrons with general technology questions and computer needs.
- Sorts, organizes, and shelves library materials including books, magazines/newspapers, and media.
- May assist with library programs and the creation of library displays and in-house marketing.
- Performs related work as required and assigned for the efficient and effective operation of the library.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer service
- General knowledge of MS Office, email, internet searching, and social media
- Ability to work effectively despite frequent interruptions
- Ability to maintain composure while handling customer complaints
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, in person, by phone and online
- Skilled at working cooperatively and collaboratively with customers and staff to achieve results
- Ability to learn, implement and communicate library policies and procedures
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to efficiently and accurately use the computers to carry out job responsibilities
- Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on equipment including the copier, laminator, and other office equipment
- Able to stand, walk, and use hands to perform tasks the majority of the work day (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions)
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to flourish in a changing environment
- Dependable, motivated self-starter able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
Status: This part-time position may require some evening and weekend work. The Library Assistant generally works an established schedule. Additional hours may be provided on a temporary basis for staff substitution, staff training, and/or special projects. Additional staff time may be offered at the discretion of the Supervisor.
If you meet the qualifications and would like to apply for this position please submit application, resume and cover letter to the following:
Assistant Director Mary Mielczarek (firstname.lastname@example.org)
LaGrange Library, 308 Yager Ave, LaGrange, KY 40031
Download application here